The INNI Board of Directors is appointed by The Chief Scientist in the Ministry of Economy. The INNI BoD operates out of The MAGNET Program at the Office of the Chief Scientist.
The mission of INNI -- the Israel National Nanotechnology Initiative is to make nanotechnology the next wave of successful industry in Israel by creating an engine for global leadership.
A primary task for INNI is to promote fruitful collaboration between Israeli and global nanotechnology stakeholders, particularly for projects that lead to continuing success in academia and industry.
To achieve this task, INNI activities include:
- Establishing a national policy of resources for nanotechnology, with the aim of faster commercialization.
- Long-range nanotechnology programs for scientific research and technology development in academia and industry, and promoting development of world-class infrastructure in Israel to support them.
- Leading in the creation of projects that promote agreed national priorities; allocate their budgets and review development progress.
- Actively seeking funding resources from public and private sources in order to implement the selected projects.
- Promoting development of innovative local nanotechnology industries which will strongly impact Israeli economic growth and benefit investors.
- Encouraging Academia and Industry cooperation with public access to a national database of Israel's nanotechnology researchers and industry. Effective information about Israel's researchers and companies accelerates cooperation on R&D projects and on innovative new products. Israel's nanotechnology National Database may be accessed from the link in the INNI website upper navigation menu.
Key to development of nanotechnology-based industry in Israel is promotion of academia–industry collaboration. INNI created a unique graphic mapping engine of Israel's nanotechnology academia and industry. It is an extensive database of companies and researchers which is accessed with an integrated text and graphical mapping search engine. It is the ideal starting point to locate researchers and companies with the unique knowledge and skill sets for cooperation in research projects and the transfer of technology for innovative products and establishing new nanotechnology enterprises.